Serves 6 to 8.
- 1 quart whole milk
- 1/4 cup jasmine tea leaves or a few drops jasmine essence (available at specialty and Asian food markets)
- 1 1/3 cups jasmine rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 cups Sugar
- Heat milk in a medium saucepan until hot but not boiling. Add tea leaves or essence.
- Remove from heat, cover, and let steep 20 minutes. Strain milk; set aside.
- Bring 3 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan.
- Stir in rice and salt, reduce heat to low, cover and cook until rice is tender and liquid has evaporated, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Stir milk, butter and 1/2 cup Sugar into rice.
- Cover and cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until Sugar is dissolved and the pudding is thick, about 30 minutes.
- Spoon pudding into dessert dishes and cover with plastic wrap to prevent skin from forming; set aside in refrigerator.
- Place remaining cup Sugar in a medium skillet over medium-low heat.
- Cook, without stirring, until dark amber in color, about 15 minutes.
- Pour caramel over top of each pudding. Serve immediately or at room temperature.
See also Edit
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.