- 4 oz shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- 10-oz pkg. frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 6 scallions (white and light green parts), thinly sliced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into ¼-inch dice
- 3 tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp dark sesame oil (optional)
- 1½ tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- pinch each of sugar and salt
- 1½ cups uncooked long-grain rice, preferably jasmine
- 1 tbsp peanut oil or vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- In small bowl, mix together soy sauce, sesame oil if desired and cornstarch.
- Mix in broth, sugar and salt.
- Set aside.
Vegetables and rice Edit
- In small heavy saucepan, combine rice and cold water to cover.
- Rub grains with your fingers to separate, then drain well.
- Repeat twice until water drains clear.
- Return rice to saucepan with 1½ cups fresh cold water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to very low, cover and simmer until tender, about 16 minutes.
- Remove from heat, fluff rice with fork and set aside.
- In nonstick wok or large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat until it ripples in pan.
- Add eggs and scramble until cooked through, about 30 seconds.
- Transfer eggs to cutting board and chop.
- Set aside.
- In same wok over medium-high heat, add garlic and stir-fry 30 seconds.
- Add bell pepper and mushrooms and stir-fry 3 minutes.
- Add spinach and stir-fry 1 minute.
- Add cooked rice and eggs, then stir sauce and add to wok.
- Cook, stirring, until sauce is thickened, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in scallions and serve hot.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.