Makes 6 servings.
- ½ frying chicken, cut up or boned
- salt and ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ¾ pound sausage, cut in ¼-inch slices
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped green peppers
- 1½ teaspoons minced garlic
- 2½ cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- cayenne pepper
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup sliced green onions, including tops (optional)
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes (optional)
- Season chicken with salt and pepper; brown in hot oil in large saucepan or dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add sausage; cook 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove chicken and sausage from saucepan; set aside.
- Cook onions, celery, green peppers, and garlic in same saucepan until tender crisp;.
- Stir in stock, salt, cayenne, and reserved chicken and sausage.
- Bring to a boil; add rice and return to a boil.
- Simmer, covered 30 minutes.
- Stir in onions and tomatoes, if desired.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.