- 4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter or margarine
- ½ cup cold water
- 1 cup vegetable oil for frying
- Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt together into a large mixing bowl.
- Cut in the butter or margarine until the mixture forms marble-sized doughballs.
- Add the water 1 teaspoon at a time, just enough to bring the dough together with a firm consistency.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed frying pot over medium-low heat until hot.
- Break off pieces and form the dough into slightly flattened biscuits, about 2 inches across.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough well, for about five minutes.
- Fry the johnny cakes, uncrowded, in the hot oil only until they become golden--(approx about 2- 3 minutes).
- Remove the johnny cakes with and drain on a paper towels to absorb the extra vegetable oil.
- Johnny cakes are usually served for breakfast with bully beef or ackees.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.