Makes 6 servings.
- 4 cups uncooked rice
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 5 ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 3 ripe tomatoes, sliced
- 3 large red bell peppers, chopped
- 1 small chile pepper or 1 teaspoon ground chile
- 2 to 3 cups chicken stock
- salt, thyme and curry powder to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter or vegetable oil
- 1 cup dried shrimp (optional)
- Combine the 5 chopped tomatoes, the bell peppers, chile pepper and medium onion and, working in batches, puree together in blender.
- Set aside.
- Bring 5 cups of water to a boil, add rice and enough chicken stock (about 2 cups) to cook rice.
- Add salt to taste.
- Cook on medium flame till rice is slightly softened, about 10 minutes.
- While rice is cooking, pour tomato-pepper mixture into saucepan and add butter or vegetable oil, salt, curry powder and thyme to taste.
- Then add 3 sliced tomatoes, small sliced onion and dried shrimp, if using, to sauce and cook about 6 to 10 minutes.
- Pour sauce into rice, mix together and simmer until rice is fully cooked, about 10 minutes.
- Rice should be dry and fluffy when done.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.