- ready-to-use pastry dough (This is a shortcut, but it is possible, and done in Finland, to prepare the pastry crust from scratch. It needs to be extra flaky)
- 1 lb prunes
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 egg, beaten (for basting)
- Soak the prunes in water with sugar for a few hours, and then cook them till soft.
- Remove the pits and chop the prunes into jam-like consistency.
- Roll out the crust to about ¼" thickness and cut into desired shapes: they can be round to which a spoonful of prunes is placed, the edge turned over to form a semi-round, and the edges are pinched closed tight; or square where the corners are cut in half towards the center and a small amount of the filling in placed in the center.
- To form pinwheels, turn every other peak to the center.
- The square shape can also be formed so that all peaks are turned to the center.
- Before baking, are basted with the beaten egg.
- Bake in a hot oven (425°F) for about 10 minutes.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.