Veal in a casserole
- 1 lb veal
- ⅓ cup margarine
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 medium onion
- 4 medium potatoes
- ¼ cup tomato pulp or paste
- ¼ cup veal broth
- Rinse veal (or wipe with a damp paper towel) and remove any skin.
- Cut into rather small pieces.
- Peel potatoes and cut into strips or slices.
- Use half of margarine to grease a deep, covered baking dish or casserole.
- Cover with a sprinkling of bread crumbs.
- Peel and slice onion and lightly brown in remainder of margarine.
- Place a layer of potatoes in casserole and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Add a layer of meat, season with salt and pepper, and cover with onions.
- Repeat, with a layer of potatoes on top.
- Cover casserole and bake in a hot oven (400°F) for ½ hour.
- Remove cover.
- Combine veal broth and tomato pulp or paste and pour over casserole ingredients.
- Bake, uncovered, for another ½ hour or until meat is tender.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.