- 450 – 500 g of kanafa pastry
- ½ cup of butter
- 2 cans of thickened cream (kushtah)
- 1 cup of chopped nuts
- 1 tablespoon of ground cardamom
- Pull the kanafa pastry apart and break into two inch pieces.
- Spread half of the kanafa in a 9" x 13" pan.
- Sprinkle on half of the butter.
- Press into the pan.
- Spread the two cans of cream over the kanafa.
- Mix the nuts with the ground cardamom and sprinkle evenly over the cream.
- Top with the rest of the kanafa pastry.
- Sprinkle on the remaining butter.
- Gently press the kanafa into the pan, as much as you are able to.
- Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, make the syrup.
- Bring all of the ingredients to boil in a sauce pan, then reduce to a light boil and boil another 5–10 minutes.
- When you take the kanafa out of the oven, remove the cinnamon and cloves from the syrup.
- Pour the syrup evenly over the hot kanafa.
- Leave in the pan for one hour to cool and soak up the syrup.
- Cut with a sharp knife into squares and serve.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.