Hot cabbage soup
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Source: my old recipes
- Serves 8
- 10 cups shredded cabbage (2 lbs)
- 2 tbsp salt
- ½ tbsp white pepper
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1½ quarts water
- 1½ lbs beef chuck (flank-style ribs)
- 1 large soup bone
- 2 cans tomato purée (1 lb each)
- 8 peeled small whole potatoes (2 lbs)
- 1 tbsp sour salt (optional)
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- In large kettle, mix cabbage, salt, pepper, onion and water.
- Bring to boil, covered.
- Add beef, soup bone and tomato puree.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer covered 1 hour.
- Add potatoes.
- Cover and simmer 1 hour.
- Twenty minute before end of cooking time, add sour salt if used and sugar.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Skim off fat.
- Next day, reheat gently.
- Five minutes before serving, add garlic.
- To serve, pour into tureen or individual bowls.
- beef can be served separately or cut up and added to soup.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.