- Ethnicity - Kashmiri, North Indian
- Type of meal - Party, Lunch, Dinner
- 500 gms long grain rice (basmati)
- 2 cups milk
- ½ cup cream beaten smooth
- 1 tsp sugar
- salt to taste
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 3 cloves
- 1" cinnamon
- 3 cardamoms
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1 cup canned chopped mixed fruit (drained)
- rose water
- Wash and soak rice for 15-20 minutes.
- Mix milk, cream, sugar, salt.
- Drain rice, keep aside.
- Heat ghee in a heavy pan.
- Add cumin seeds, cinnamon, bay leaf, cardamoms, cloves.
- Allow to splutter.
- Add rice and fry in ghee for 2 minutes.
- Add milk, cream, mixture.
- Add ½ cup water.
- Bring to a boil.
- When boil is reached, cover and simmer till cooked.
- Each grain should be cooked, but separate.
- Mix in drained fruit very gently.
- Sprinkle few drops of rose water.
- Serve hot with a curry or tadka dal.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.