- 2½ cups unbleached all purpose flour
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ cup club soda — or more if needed, at room temperature
- 12 tbsp (1½ sticks) unsalted (sweet) butter, melted
Nachinka iz fasoli (red bean filling) Edit
- 1 cup dried red beans -- soaked overnight in water to cover
- salt and plenty of freshly ground black pepper — to taste
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1¼ cup onions — finely chopped
- ½ cup cilantro — finely chopped
- Sift the flour and salt into a large bowl and make a well in the middle.
- Pour in the egg, oil, and club soda and stir into the flour, adding more club soda if necessary, ot make a rather soft dough.
- Transfer the dough to a floured board and knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes.
- Shape the dough into a ball, cover with a linen or cotton (not terry cloth)
- Divide the dough into four parts and shape each one into a ball.
- Let stand, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and butter two large baking sheets.
- On a floured surface, roll out one of the balls into an ⅛-inch thick square.
- Brush the dough with some of the melted butter.
- Dip your fingers into the melted butter and pull the edges of the dough in different directions, stretching it evenly until it is almost transparently thin.
- Don't worry if the dough tears, as you will be folding it up.
- With a sharp knife, trim the edges of the dough to from an even square.
- Fold the square in half, brush the surface generously with the melted d fold in half again crosswise to from a smaller square.
- It should be approximately 6 to 7 inches. If is isn't, pull it out slightly to fit the dimensions.
- Brush the square with butter.
- Shape one-fourth of the filling into a ball and place in the center of the square.
- Fold in the corners of the square like an envelope.
- With the palm of your hand, flatten the pie so it is about 1 inch thick.
- Brush the top with melted butter and carefully transfer to a prepared baking sheet.
- Repeat the procedure with the rest of the dough and filling.
- Bake the pies in the middle of the oven, until golden brown, about 35 minutes.
- Serve warm.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.