Georgian spicy beef stew
- 1½ lb beef chuck boneless cubed ½"
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- ¾ cup beef stock
- 3 onions, chopped fine
- 2 tsp tamarind concentrate
- 2½ tbsp tomato paste
- ½ tsp paprika Hungarian hot
- ¼ tsp fenugreek ground
- ¾ tsp coriander seeds, crushed
- 1 tsp tarragon dried
- 1½ tsp black pepper freshly ground
- 3 garlic cloves minced fine
- 3 tbsp cilantro leaves chopped
- ¼ cup walnut pieces finely chopped
- 1 tbsp sugar or honey
- Heat the oil over med-high heat in a large cast iron skillet.
- Add the beef, onions, and garlic and cook while stirring for 12 – 15 minutes.
- Combine the hot beef stock, with the tomato paste and the tamarind concentrate in a bowl and alow to stand until all of the tamarind concentrate is dissolved, approximately 8 – 10 minutes.
- Add this mixture to the beef as well as all of the other ingredients, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 1½ hours.
- Be sure to stir occasionally.
- Add stock as needed if the liquid reduces too much.
- Add the sugar and walnuts and simmer for 15 more minutes.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.