Algerian semolina cake with eggs
- 400 gr of durum wheat semolina flour
- 2 eggs
- 1½ cups of tepid milk
- 1 packet of yeast
- 2 cups of sugar
- 1 cup of honey
- 150 g of almonds as an optional garnish
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- Knead the flour, eggs, sugar, milk and yeast together with some water until the ingredients are incorporated.
- The dough should be wetter and looser than a bread dough.
- Heat a skillet for just a minute and add the butter.
- Remove pan from heat.
- Press the dough down into the skillet.
- Cover the dough with plastic or a slightly damp towel and let it rise at room temperature until approximately double in size.
- Cook on very, very low heat.
- The cake will rise to about double in volume.
- When fully cooked it will become firm.
- Turn over and brown the other side for about 10 minutes.
- Brush the top with warmed honey this will obviously moisten the cake.
- You can add orange flower water or rose water to the honey if you like.
- Garnishing with almonds is optional.
- You can also toast the almonds if you like.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.