- 1 1/2 lb Lean stewing Beef or Lamb
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 lrg Onion, finely chopped
- 2 x garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 1/2 cup water
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp Hot chili pepper (or more)
- 3 cup spinach, chopped
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tbl coriander leaves, chopped (more if desired)
- Cut meat into 3/4' cubes.
- Heat oil in a heavy pan, add Onion and fry gently until transparent. Increase heat, add garlic and meat cubes and fry, stirring often, until juices evaporate and meat begins to brown.
- Add water, salt and pepper to taste, chili pepper, and cumin. Bring to a slow simmer and reduce heat. Cover pan and simmer gently for 1-1 1/2 hours until meat is tender. Time depends on cut of meat used.
- Add spinach and coriander and cook for further 10–15 minutes.
- Mound chalau on a platter and spoon some of the sauce on top. Serve remainder in a separate bowl. Note1: 1/4 c. yellow split Peas (daul nakhud) can be substituted for the spinach. This dish is then called Korma and the split Peas are added at step 3.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.