Lithuanian Honey Liqueur
- 2 teaspoons caraway seed
- 10 whole cloves
- 10 whole allspice
- 4 sticks cinnamon
- 2 sticks vanilla
- 2 pieces yellow ginger
- 2 pieces white ginger
- 10 cardamom seeds
- ½ nutmeg
- 3 strips orange rind
- 3 strips lemon rind
- 1 pinch saffron
- 4 cups water
- 2 lbs honey
- 1 quart grain alcohol
- Crack cardamon seeds and nutmeg.
- Boil spices, rind and water in a covered pot until liquid is reduced to about 2 cups.
- In a pot large enough to hold the spiced liquid, alcohol and honey, bring honey to a boil.
- Skim off the foam.
- Pour spiced liquid into honey and stir.
- Remove from heat.
- Place far away from heat to prevent flare-up or expolsion of alcohol.
- Slowly, and very carefully, pour in alcohol.
- Replace pot on low heat.
- Heat, being careful not to simmer or boil, for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool in the same covered pot overnight.
- Following day, pour into bottles and allow to settle (about 2 weeks).
- The longer it sits, the clearer it becomes and the better it tastes.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.