Kulfi is a type of ice cream from India. It is usually made with condensed milk, flavored with cardamom and topped with chopped almonds and pistachios.
- 1 liter of creamy milk
- 10 cardamom seeds (may leave out if not readily available)
- 10-15 strands of saffron, crushed, soaked in 1 tsp. warm milk (may leave if not available easily)
- sugar to taste
- ¼ cup chopped and thinly sliced almonds
- ¼ cup of chopped and thinly sliced pistachios
- Put cardamom in the milk and bring to boil.
- Reduce the heat and continue to stir till reduced by around one-third – care should be taken that the milk particles does not get stuck to the pan as it will spoil the taste.
- Remove cardamoms from milk by using a strainer.
- Add the copped almonds, pistachios and crushed saffron.
- Pour the mixtures in small containers or cups.
- Freeze until firm.
- Remove from the refrigerator about 5 minutes before serving.
- If cardamom seeds or saffron are unavailable, you may add the chocolate powder of your choice before putting the cups into freezer.