Thai prawn soup
- Contributed by World Recipes Y-Group
This Y-group is international. Good food from all parts of the world. A place where we can share the wonderful food from all over the world.
- Serves 4 to 6
- 2 pounds small raw prawns
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 8 cups hot water
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 2 stalks lemon grass or 4 strips lemon rind, peeled thinly
- 4 lemon or other citrus leaves
- 2 or 3 fresh whole birdseye chilies
- ½ pound fresh mushrooms, halved or quartered
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves (no stems)
- 4 green onions (green tops included), chopped
- 2 ripe tomatoes, quartered (optional)
- cooked rice
- Wash, shell (save the shells) and de-vein prawns.
- Heat oil in large soup pot and saute shells until they turn pink.
- Add hot water, salt, lemon grass or rind, citrus leaves and whole chilies.
- Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Strain stock, return to a boil, add prawns and mushrooms (about a minute after the prawns) and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes or until prawns are cooked.
- Remove from heat and add fish sauce, lemon juice, cilantro leaves, green onions and the tomato.
- Suggested serving: spoon desired amount of cooked rice into individual serving bowls and ladle hot soup over rice.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.