Source: Information Office of the Royal Embassy of Saudi Arabia, Spring 1995
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 lamb shanks, meaty, each about ¾ pound
- 2 medium onions, cut into ¼ inch slices
- 1 tsp allspice
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp salt
- black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 9 medium tomato, fresh, ripe, peeled, seeded and finely chopped, or 3 cups canned, drained, chopped tomatoes
- 3 cup water
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Using a pastry brush apply the tablespoon of olive oil to the bottom of a baking dish large enough to hold the lamb shanks comfortably in one layer.
- Place the shanks in the dish and bake in the middle of the oven for 30 minutes, turning the pieces occasionally so that they color evenly on all sides.
- Remove the dish from the oven and spread the onion slices over the lamb.
- Sprinkle them with the allspice, nutmeg, salt, a few grindings of black pepper, cayenne, and spread the tomatoes on top.
- Pour in the water and bring to a boil on top of the stove.
- Bake on the lowest shelf of the oven for 1 hour, or until the lamb is tender and shows no resistance when pierced with the point of a small, sharp knife.
- Serve directly from the baking dish or arrange the shanks on a heated platter and pour the sauce over them.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.