- 2½ lbs (1 kg) eggplant
- ½ to ¾ cup oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 lb (500 g) ground lamb or lean beef
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ⅛ teaspoon each: cayenne, nutmeg, and cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup uncooked rice
- ½ cup sliced, toasted almonds or cashews
- ⅓ cup seedless raisins
- 1⅓ cup beef bouillon
- Pare eggplants; cut lengthwise into ¼" thick slices.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in skillet over medium heat.
- Cook eggplant slices in oil, a few at a time, until golden, about 30 seconds on each side.
- Add remaining oil as needed to keep eggplant from sticking.
- Drain thoroughly on paper towels.
- Cook onion in 1 tablespoon oil until tender.
- Set aside.
- Mix lamb (or beef) with garlic and spices.
- Spread rice in lightly oiled shallow 9" x 13" baking dish.
- Layer ⅓ each of the eggplant slices, lamb mixture, almonds, raisins, and onions over rice.
- Repeat layers twice, ending with onion.
- Heat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Pour beef bouillon over mixture and cover with foil.
- Bake until mixture bubbles and rice is tender, 35 – 45 minutes.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.