Serves 8 - 12
- 6 - 8 large, fresh beets, 14 - 16 medium sized ones, or two dozen tiny new ones
- 1 - 2 handfuls of rolled oats (or rice)
- 6 - 8 medium-sized potatoes
- 3 - 4 beef bouillon cubes
- chopped hard-boiled eggs (1 per serving)
- sour cream (1 oz per serving)
- Wash beets well, and cut off the roots.
- If using large beets, dice into large chunks.
- Put beets into a large dutch oven or stock pot, and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil, and cook until beets are soft (about 10 – 20 minutes, depending on the size of the beets).
- Drain off the water, and let the beets cool.
- Meanwhile, peel the potatoes and dice them (cubes about ½ to 1 inch in diameter).
- Put about 2 - 2½ quarts of water into large pot.
- Add bouillon cubes, rolled oats (or rice), and potatoes.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer until potatoes are soft.
- Meanwhile, put the cooled beets into a Cuisinart or blender and blend to desired size and texture.
- Add beet mixture and stir all together, until beets are heated through.
- Into every soup plate put a dollop of sour cream and one chopped, hard-boiled egg (without shell!).
- Pour over them a couple of ladlefuls of the beet soup, and get ready for raves!.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.