- Makes about 24 patties, enough for 6 sandwiches.
- 1 cup dried garbanzo beans, soaked in water to cover overnight and drained
- 1 cup dried shelled fava beans, soaked overnight and drained
- ½ cup peeled and finely chopped yellow onions
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup sesame seeds
- ½ cup garbanzo flour
- ¼ cup fine bulgur
- ¼ cup finely chopped parsley
- ¼ Tbsp salt
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- oil for deep-frying
- Run the drained garbanzo beans and fava beans through the fine blade on your meat grinder or in your food processor. Blend in all the remaining ingredients and let the mixture stand for 1 hour.
- Form into little patties ⅓ inch thick and 1½ inches round. Or, you can form them into balls the size of walnuts.
- Deep-fry in 375 °F oil until toasty brown and crunchy on the outside, about 4 minutes.
- Fill pita bread with falafel, sliced tomatoes, sliced onion, lettuce, yogurt, hummus, etc.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.