- 1 whole pig, 20 lbs, emptied and clean
- sour oranges (naranjas agrias)
- salt and pepper
- The day before, you have to marinate the pig.
- If you have extra space in your refrigerator, it is best to do it 2 days before.
- The pig should be clean, and opened in half through the belly.
- Place the pig in a large roasting pan.
- Rub the insides with a lot of chopped garlic, oregano, and salt to taste.
- Squeeze enough sour oranges and "bathe" the pig with the juice.
- Cover with foil paper and keep in the refrigerator.
- The morning you want to roast the pig, dig a hole in the ground large enough to fit the pork.
- Cover the ground well with banana leaves (to avoid getting the pig dirty) and place the pig inside.
- Cover with more banana leaves, one or two metal sheets (hojas de zinc) large enough to cover the hole completely.
- Build your fire on top of the metal sheets with wood.
- Depending on the size of the pig and the heat, it should take around 9 to 10 hours to cook.
- Test for doneness by pricking the thigh with the point of a knife, if the liquid runs clear, the meat is done.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.