This recipe is for 8 servings.
- 2 lbs leeks
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 small carrots, halved and slced
- 2 tbsp uncooked rice
- 1½ tsp sugar
- ¾ tsp salt
- juice of half lemon
- 1½ cup water
- Trim leeks.
- Remove a few of the outer layers.
- Slice ¾" thick, discard tough green leaves.
- Wash well in several changes of water.
- In a heavy skillet, heat olive oil.
- Stir in leeks and carrots.
- Cover and cook very gently for 30 minutes, shaking the skillet occasionally.
- Blend in the remaining ingredients in order.
- Cover and simmer for 30 minutes, checking the liquid.
- Add more water if necessary.
- When fully cooked, it should be very moist but not watery.
- Serve cold with lemon juice.
- Serve as part of a buffet including other vegetable dishes.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.