Makes 12 servings.
- 1 cup toasted blanched almonds
- 1½ cups sugar
- ½ cup matzo cake meal
- ½ tsp salt
- 9 large eggs, yolks and whites in separate bowls
- 1½ tsp + ¼ cup lemon juice
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- 1 tbs grated lemon peel
- 2 lemons
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. You will need a 10 inch tube pan with removable tube insert.
- Process almonds and ¼ cup sugar in a food processor until nuts are finely ground.
- Mix with matzo meal and salt.
- Beat egg whites until foamy.
- Add 1½ tsp lemon juice until soft peaks form.
- Add ¼ cup sugar, beat until stiff.
- Set aside.
- Beat yolks, 1 cup sugar, ¼ cup lemon juice, the oil and peel to blend.
- Fold in ¼ the whites, then nut mixture.
- Fold in remaining whites, pour into ungreased pan.
- Bake 55 min. or until top is browned and dry and cake springs back when touched.
- Place upside down on neck of a bottle to cool.
- To unmold---run a knife around edge and inner tube.
- Invert pan on serving plate, shake to release cake.
- Thinly slice 2 lemons.
- Bring 2 cups each sugar and water to a boil in a skillet.
- Add lemons, reduce heat and simmer 25 min. or until slices are translucent.
- Cool in syrup.
- Just before serving---add garnishes of candied lemon slices, whole raspberries and mint leaves.
Contributed by: Edit
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.