Purchased from the Watson Estate in McKinney, Texas in 1991. Dated 1966.
- 2 eggs
- 3/4-cup granulated sugar
- 1/2-cup vegetable oil
- 1-tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 2-teaspoons anise seed crushed
- 1-1/4-teaspoons baking powder
- 1-teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4-teaspoon salt
- 2-cups all-purpose flour
- 1-cup whole almonds coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, Sugar, oil, lemon zest, anise seed, baking powder, vanilla, and salt. Whisk to blend. Add the flour and almonds and stir until dough forms.
- Turn out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth.
- Divide dough in half.
- Form each half into a log 2-inches in diameter.
- Carefully transfer the logs to an ungreased baking sheet, spacing them well apart.
- Sprinkle the tops with additional Sugar.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool 10 minutes.
- Leave the oven set at 350.
- Using spatula, carefully transfer the logs to a work surface.
- Using a serrated knife, cut crosswise into slices1/2 -inch thick.
- Arrange the slices cut side down on the baking sheet.
- Return to oven and bake until brown.
- Transfer cookies to wire racks cooling.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.
Contributed by Edit
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.