I made this case yesterday and it was huge success...I wanted to share :0
i added grated zest from 2 lemons (recipe calls for the amount from 1 lemon).
Cook Time: 55 minutes
FOR THE BREAD
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 vanilla bean (I used liquid version)
- 12 tbs (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cups of milk
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
FOR THE GLAZE
- 1/4 cup sugar (powder)
- 3 tbs. fresh lemon juice
1. Have all the ingredients at room temperature.
2. Position a rack in the lower third of an oven and preheat to 350 F. Grease and flour your pan. Tap out excess flour.
3.To make the bread, in a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
4. Put the sugar in a bowl. Using a paring knife, cut the vanilla bean in half lengthwise. Using the tip of the knife, scrape the seeds into the bowl. Using your fingers, rub the seeds into the sugar to break up the clumps. Add the butter, eggs, milk and lemon zest and wisk until thoroughly blended. Add the flour mixture and stir just until blended.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean, 55 to 60 minutes. Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let cool for 15 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, make the glaze: in a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the sugar and lemon juice. Heat, stirring occasionally, until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat.7. Tap the pan gently on a work surface to loosen the bread. Set the rack over a baking sheet, invert the pan onto the rack and lift off the pan. turn the loaf over and, using a pastry brush, brush the top and sides of the bread with the graze. Let cool completely before serving. Makes 1 loaf.