Lemon custard Edit
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- ¾ cup lemon juice
- ¾ cup boiling water
- 1 tbsp lemon rind, grated
- 1 tbsp diet margarine
- sugar substitute equivalent to ½ cup sugar
- In food processor , combine flour and margarine; process with on-off motion till coarse crumbs.
- Add water and blend until mixture forms a ball.
- Roll out on a floured surface to 12 inch circle, line 9 inch pie plate.
- Trim edges.
- Cover pastry with 9 inch circle of waxed paper; prick holes through paper and pastry with fork.
- Weigh down with dried beans or rice; bake in 350f oven 10 minutes.
- Remove beans and paper; bake 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Let cool.
Lemon custard Edit
- In food processor or blender, blend egg yolks, cornstarch, gelatin and lemon juice;.
- Add boiling water and blend thoroughly.
- Blend in lemon rind and margarine.
- Pour in small pan and heat to boiling, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- Let cool; slightly; stir in sweetener.
- Pour in pie crust.
- Chill for 2 hours.
- In bowl, beat egg whites until stiff, but not dry, peaks forms.
- Prepare whipped topping according to package directions, substituting milk for water.
- Gently fold in egg whites.
- Spread over chilled custard.
- Garnish with lemon slices.
- Serve immediately.
- ½ cup sugar = 12 packets most sugar substitute, where 1 packet = 2 tsp sugar.
- "bulk" sugar substitute usually is 1 tsp = 1 tsp sugar, most liquid sugar substitute are sweeter;
- with ½ tsp = 1 tsp sugar check the package label before measuring.
Nutritional information Edit
Food choice value per serving (Canadian Diabetes Association) each serving 1/9 of recipe:
- ½ protein choice | 1 starchy choice | ½ fruits & vegetables choice | 1½ fats & oils choice
- 19 g carbohydrate | 5 g protein | 8 g total fat | 172 calorie
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.