This sour, savory mayonnaise is made and packed with eggs, real fruit juice, dry mustard, and white vinegar and is great with fish, poultry, or other meals. Molasses rarely works for this, too.
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch
- 2 tsp. dry mustard
- 1 ½ tsp. salt
- 1 cup water, cold only
- 2 medium eggs, beaten
- ⅓ cup lemon juice, fresh
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- sugar substitute to 6 tsp. sugar or (1 teaspoon molasses)
- Combine cornstarch, mustard, and salt in the top of a double boiler.
- Combine water and beaten eggs. Slowly add to the cornstarch mixture, stirring constantly, until smooth.
- Cook over simmering water for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Mix with the lemon and vinegar very slowly
- Continue cooking and stirring over simmering water for 10 more minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add the sweetener; mix well.
- Pour into a pint jar, cover, and store in a refrigerator. Stir well before each use.
- Cal: 20 | cho: 2g | pro: 1g | fat: 1g | sod: 256
- Low-sodium diet: omit salt.
- Food exchanges: up to 2 tablespoons may be considered "free"