This dessert is for lemon lovers. Excellent as is, it also makes a great filling for a baked Atkins piecrust.
- 1 envelope unsweetened gelatin
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 7 eggs, separated, at room temperature (see note)
- 6 packets sugar substitute (up to 10)
- 3 tablespoons Grand Marnier, or other orange flavored liqueur
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- In a medium bowl, dissolve gelatin in lemon juice.
- Set bowl over a saucepan of simmering water (water should not touch bowl).
- Whisk in egg yolks and sugar substitute; cook, whisking constantly, until a candy thermometer registers 170 °F (about 4 minutes). Remove from heat; stir in orange liqueur.
- Transfer to a large bowl.
- With an electric beater, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; set aside.
- Whip cream until stiff peaks form. Fold egg whites into yolk-gelatin mixture until combined.
- Gently fold in whipped cream. Taste for sweetness; adjust if necessary.
- Cover with foil and refrigerate until well chilled.
- Note: If you prefer not to consume uncooked egg whites, use a powdered egg white product (sold in the baking section of most supermarkets) instead.
See also Edit
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.