Dessert Recipes by the South Carolina Department of Agriculture, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- 1 lb. box brown sugar
- 1 lb. butter
- 6 egg yolks, beaten
- 4 c. all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 (2 oz.) bottle lemon extract
- 1/2 lb. candied cherries
- 1/2 lb. candied pineapple
- 6 egg whites, beaten
- 1 qt. shelled pecans (chopped)
- Cream sugar and butter until smooth. Add egg yolks and mix well.
- Combine 2 cups flour and baking powder and add to creamed mixture. Add lemon extract.
- Coat pecans and fruit with 2 cups flour and add to creamed mixture.
- Fold in stiff beaten egg whites.
- Let stand overnight in refrigerator.
- Grease, flour, and line tube cake pan.
- Use brown paper bags to cut lining for cake pan.
- Grease and flour brown paper as well as pan.
- Pour mixture into lined pan.
- Cut brown paper cover for top of cake.
- Bake at 250°F for 2 1/2 hours.
- Keep covered during baking until last 15 minutes.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.