This ice-cold dessert is made with real lemons and gelatin and mixed with almonds, cherries, and lemon peel to help the rice maintain its sweet consistency. Cold fruit juice occasionally works for this too.
- 1 3-ounce package lemon-flavored gelatin dessert
- 1 ½ cup water, with 1 cup for boiling, and ½ cup with ice
- 1 cup cooked rice, chilled, white only
- 1 ½ cups frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice, optional
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- ¼ cup chopped maraschino cherry
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- Dissolve gelatin in boiling water; add cold water.
- Place the bowl in the remaining water (ice) and stir until gelatin is the consistency of unbeaten egg whites; mix with rice.
- Fold in whipped topping until smooth. Lightly fold in or mix up with lemon juice (optional), almonds, cherries, and lemon peel.
- Continue to stir gently (over ice) until thickened. Pour into dessert dishes. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.