Lemon Rice with Zucchini, Roasted Peppers and Feta Cheese from the Public Health Cookbook by the Seattle & King County Department of Public Health—original source of recipe, public domain government resource
- Serves: 4
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 small lemon, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 large zucchini, sliced
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 4 oz feta cheese
- In a medium saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and lemon and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the rice, vegetable stock, rosemary and bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium.
- Partially cover the saucepan and let simmer for 15 – 20 minutes until broth is completely absorbed and rice is just tender.
- Add more broth or water if mixture becomes too dry.
- Roast the peppers:
- Cut peppers into quarters and remove stem, seeds, and membranes.
- Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Place peppers down on foil, skin side up and press each segment to lie flat on sheet.
- Bake in an oven at 425°F for 20 minutes or until skin is blackened and blistered.
- Remove peppers from oven and place in a paper bag.
- Close bag and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Remove and discard skins then slice each pepper.
- In a large frying pan, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of the olive oil on medium-high heat, then add the zucchini and cook for about 5 minutes until the zucchini begins to soften then reduce heat to medium.
- Add the peppers, rice and feta cheese to the frying pan then gently fold ingredients together.
- Cook for an additional minute until heated through then serve.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.