- 4 c. flour, sifted three times with 2 tbsp. baking powder
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3 tbsp. grated lemon peel
- 1/2 c. unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 eggs, room temperature, beaten to blend
- 2/3 c. milk or buttermilk
- Whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Grease and flour baking sheets.
- Sift flour, sugar and salt into deep bowl. Stir in peel.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Blend in eggs and just enough milk or buttermilk to form soft but not sticky dough.
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface.
- Gently roll or pat dough to about 1/2 inch thickness, lightly flouring as necessary to prevent sticking.
- Cut out rounds using 2 inch floured biscuit cutter.
- Set 1/2 inch apart on prepared baking sheets. Brush with cream.
- Bake until scones are golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Serve immediately with sweet butter, jam or marmalade. Makes 16 to 20.
Contributed by Edit
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.