- 2 lemons, juice of
- 2 cups okra, Sliced
- 1 broiler Chicken (2 1/2 lbs)
- 1/3 cup long grain rice, Uncooked
- 6 cups chicken broth or water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 large Onion, peeled & chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tomatoes, peeled & choppped
- 1/2 teaspoon red peppers, Ground
- 1 can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon turmeric, Ground
- Cut up broiler-fryer Chicken.
- If using can of okra, drain it well.
- Rub lemon juice over Chicken pieces.
- Put in a large kettle with chicken broth or water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and cook slowly, covered, 12 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and continue to cook slowly about 30 minutes, until Chicken and rice are tender.
- Remove Chicken pieces and debone.
- Cut meat into small pieces and return to kettle.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.