Lentil Soup from the Public Health Cookbook, Seattle & King County Department of Public Health—original source of recipe, US government resource in the public domain
- Cook Time: Approximately 45 minutes
- Serves: 4
- 2 cups dry lentils
- 4 cups water
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 1 x 15oz. can tomatoes, crushed or chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley or ½ tablespoon dried flakes
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Wash the lentils by rinsing them under running water.
- Put water in a large saucepan. Add the lentils, bring to boil, then reduce to simmer and cover the pan. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Stir in carrots, tomatoes, onion, garlic and seasonings.
- Cover and cook another 15 minutes or until lentils are tender.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.