Algerian braised lamb shanks with prunes
- 3 lamb shanks
- 1 tablespoon of semolina flour
- 1 carrot chopped
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 100 grams of prunes
- 100 grams of dried apricots
- 100 grams of almonds
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- 2 pinches of saffron
- olive oil
- Add the lamb, carrot and onion to a dutch oven with about 6 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Sprinkle on about 1 tablespoon of salt and the semolina flour.
- Cook over medium heat for about 20 minutes.
- The lamb will not brown much at all, but the carrots and onions will begin to caramelize just a bit.
- Lower the heat if they begin to color too quickly.
- Turn the shanks midway through cooking.
- Add the turmeric and almonds plus 1 cup of water.
- Cook on very low heat for about 2 – 2½ hours, turn the meat every 30 minutes or so, add more water if the sauce reduces too much.
- Add the saffron, prunes and apricots, stir.
- Cook for 20 minutes, add the honey and turn up the heat to reduce the sauce.
- It should be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- The meat should be very tender, almost falling off the bone.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.