- 5 oz. butter
- 6 oz. caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 9 oz. plain flour
- 3/4 level teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 level teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 level teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 level teaspoon ground mace
- 1/2 level teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 level teaspoon powdered cloves
- 7 oz. golden syrup
- 1/4 pint milk
- 2 oz. citron [lemon] peel, cut very finely
- 3 oz. seedless Raisins, chopped
- 2 oz. shredded coconut
- cream butter and Sugar.
- Add eggs one at a time.
- Sift together dry ingredients and add to egg mixture alternately with mixture of milk and syrup.
- (Start and end with dry ingredients.) Stir just until smooth. Fold in fruit and coconut. Pour batter into two greased and floured loaf tins, 9 by 5 by 2 and 1/2 inches.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes in a very moderate oven (350 degrees F).
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.