Source: Sunset Diabetic Cookbook
- Makes 4 servings
- ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes
- lbs boned and skinned chicken breasts, cut in ½" strips
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1½ tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper
- 4 tsp cornstarch, mixed 2:1 with water
- 1 cup low-fat yogurt
- ½ cup dry white wine
- ½ cup chicken broth, low sodium
- 2 tbsp dry sherry
- ½ tsp salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 oz egg-yolkless noodles
- 2 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- In a bowl, soak tomatoes in hot water until very soft, about 1 hour.
- Drain well, cut into strips and set aside.
- Dust chicken strips in flour.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a wide non-stick frying pan over medium heat.
- Add chicken, about half at a time, and cook, lifting and turning often, until lightly brown.
- Remove from pan, and set aside.
- Set a large pot of water to boil.
- Add remaining 1 ½ teaspoons oil to frying pan.
- Add onion and cook 5 minutes (if onions start to stick, add a little water to the pan) add the mushrooms, garlic, thyme and cayenne pepper.
- Cook until the mushrooms have softened.
- Meanwhile, stir the dissolved cornstarch into the yogurt, set aside.
- Add the wine and sherry to the mushrooms and cook until the liquid has almost evaporated; stir in the broth.
- Turn the heat to medium-low and take the pan off the heat.
- Stir some of the hot vegetables into the yogurt, then stir the yogurt into the pan.
- Add the dried tomatoes, salt and lots of pepper.
- Place on the heat and stir several minutes until the sauce is lightly thickened.
- Stir in the chicken and heat through.
- Place noodles in the boiling water and cook according to package directions.
- Spoon the stroganoff on top and garnish with a little chopped parsley if desired.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.