- 1 (16 ounce) package dried lentils
- 3 quarts chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 5 drops Tabasco sauce
- ¼ teaspoon caraway seeds
- ½ teaspoon celery salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 TBSP chopped fresh parsley
- ½ pound diced ham
- Rinse and drain lentils; place in a soup pot.
- Add stock, bay leaf, worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, nutmeg, chili sauce, caraway seeds, and celery salt. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes. Add water as needed, up to 2 quarts, to retain soupy texture.
- Stir in carrots, celery, and onion. Cook 15 minutes more.
- Serve hot, garnished with croutons.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.