- 3 lbs neck bones
- 6 fresh tomatoes or 1 can tomatoes
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 cooked red beets, chopped or 1 can diced beets (reserve juice)
- 1 bay leaf, salt and pepper (to taste)
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- If fresh tomatoes are used, run boiling water over them and remove skins (chop tomatoes).
- Cook neck bones at least 3 hours until meat is tender, cool and strain in large colander.
- Remove meat and add to strained broth (discard bones).
- In a large bowl add meat and broth.
- Put into refrigerator overnight.
- In morning remove grease.
- In a large pot add meat and broth, tomatoes, shredded cabbage, red beets, onion, bay leaf, seasonings, vinegar.
- Cook on medium heat until all is tender, at least 1½ hours.
- When soup is done add red beet juice from can, it gives soup a nice red color.
- Serve in soup bowls, add 2 tablespoons sour cream.
- If preferred, 3 cans of bouillon can be used instead of neck bones.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.