- 2½ – 3 lbs. stewing veal
- 3 carrots, cut up
- 3 potatoes, cubed
- 2 ribs celery, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tsp butter
- 2 (4 oz) cans or 1 lb. fresh mushrooms
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pt sour cream
- In boiling water, quickly boil off veal (4 – 6 minutes).
- Do not put meat in until water is at full boil.
- Remove from water, drain and wash veal.
- In large stew pot, place all ingredients, except mushrooms, butter, and sour cream.
- Add just enough water to cover.
- Cover and cook 45 minutes until meat and carrots are nearly done.
- Then mix ½ cup broth in a bowl (so the cream does not curdle).
- Add sour cream and mix to make a gravy.
- Add to stew with mushrooms and butter and simmer 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Serve with fresh rye bread.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.