- 1 chicken
- 1 medium onion
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 quarts water
- 3 or 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 6 medium potatoes
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 carrots
- 1 small package frozen peas
- 1 package annatto seeds
- 1 package Chinese bean threads
- crushed red peppers
- salt and pepper
- Cut chicken into pieces.
- With skin on, brown the chicken, onion, in olive oil.
- Add water and bouillon cubes.
- Cook until chicken is tender.
- You can debone and cut it into smaller pieces or leave as is.
- Cut potatoes, celery and carrots into bite size pieces and add to the chicken broth.
- Add frozen peas.
- In a deep bowl, stir achiote seeds in hot or boiling water to create a rich red liquid.
- Strain the seeds out, add the liquid to the soup.
- In a large bowl, soak the Chinese bean threads in boiling water until soft.
- Add to soup.
- Add crushed red pepper, salt and pepper to taste.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.