Makes 10 servings
- ½ cup butter, margarine, or oil
- ⅔ cup flour
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup sliced green onion tops, divided
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ground red pepper
- 2 quarts hot chicken broth or water
- 2 pounds raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 to 4 cups hot cooked rice
- filé powder
- Melt butter in large heavy pot (cast iron preferred).
- Blend in flour and stir over medium-low heat until roux is dark brown.
- Add onions, celery and green pepper; cook until vegetables are soft.
- Stir in garlic, ¼ cup onion tops, parsley, bay leaves, salt, and pepper; add hot broth.
- Simmer 2 hours.
- Add shrimp and cook 10 minutes.
- Stir in remaining ¼ cup onion tops.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Ladle into bowls.
- Stir in small amount of filé (⅛ teaspoon per cup) and top each with a mound of rice.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.