- Ethnicity - Bengali, East Indian
- Type of meal - Party, Lunch, Dinner
- 1 lb fish (preferably freshwater like carp or catfish with skin and bones cut into steaks ¾ thick)
- 1 cup mustard oil
- 1 – 1½ tbsp mustard paste
- 2 tbsp turmeric
- 5 – 6 hot peppers
- juice of 1 lemon
- salt to taste
- Smear fish pieces with 1 tbsp turmeric and salt and set aside for a few minutes.
- Heat mustard oil in a deep pan and fry fish lightly until golden yellow on both sides.
- Dissolve mustard paste, remaining turmeric and salt in 1.5 cups hot water.
- Slice hot peppers lengthwise and add to the mustard sauce.
- Add a few drops of mustard oil to the sauce. Bring sauce to boil in a saucepan and add fish to it.
- Simmer until fish is tender and sauce has thickened slightly.
- Remove from heat, allow to cool, sprinkle lemon juice and serve with white rice.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.