Contributed by Lilly at Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 1 (9") baked pie shell
- ⅓ cup cornstarch
- 3 tbsp + ½ cup sugar, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tsp unflavored gelatin
- ¼ cup brandy
- 2½ cups heavy cream
- ⅓ + ¾ cup chopped macadamia nuts, divided
- 6 oz semi-sweet chocolate
- 9 – 10 whole macadamia nuts
- In a bowl, combine cornstarch, 3 tbsp sugar, egg and egg yolk.
- In a saucepan, combine milk and ½ cup sugar; bring mixture just to boil over moderate heat and add to cornstarch mixture in stream, beating until mixture is well combined.
- Transfer mixture to saucepan; bring to simmer over low heat until mixture begins to thicken; then simmer 5 minutes more.
- Transfer pastry cream to bowl and chill, covered, 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl sprinkle gelatin over brandy to soften, 10 minutes, set bowl in pan of hot water and stir gelatin until dissolved.
- In chilled bowl, beat heavy cream until it holds stiff peaks.
- Beat pastry cream with electric mixer until it is completely smooth and in large bowl combine it with gelatin mixture, 2 cups whipped cream and ⅓ cup chopped macadamia nuts.
- In a small saucepan, melt semi-sweet chocolate over low heat, dip extra macadamia nuts in chocolate and let dry on waxed paper.
- Brush bottom of pie shell with thin layer of chocolate, pour in filling and chill pie, covered, 1 hr or until completely set.
- Sprinkle ½ cup macadamia nuts around edge of pie, transfer remaining whipped cream to pastry bag, fitted with star tip and pipe 9 – 10 rosettes of cream over top of pie.
- Top each rosette with chocolate-covered nut and chill at least 2 hr.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.