- 1½ cups medium-sized elbow macaroni
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup freshly grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup crumbled roquefort cheese
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ¼ cup fine dry breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly grease 1½-quart ovenproof baking dish.
- Bring pot of lightly salted water to a boil over medium heat, and cook macaroni according to package directions until al dente.
- Remove from heat, drain and place in baking dish.
- Melt butter in saucepan, and whisk in flour.
- Cook for about 2 minutes, or until mixture thickens.
- Gradually add milk, whisking constantly, and cook for 6 to 7 minutes, or until sauce thickens.
- Remove from heat, and set aside.
- Combine 1 tablespoon of each cheese in small bowl, and set aside.
- Add remaining cheese to white sauce, and stir until smooth.
- If needed, reheat cheeses over low heat to melt, and season to taste.
- Pour sauce over macaroni in casserole, and stir to mix well.
- Add breadcrumbs to remaining cheese, and sprinkle over top.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until hot, bubbly and lightly browned on top.
- Serve hot from oven.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.