- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 cup half and half
- ½ cup sugar
- 5 large egg yolks
- ⅓ cup minced drained stem ginger — in syrup
- 2 tbsp syrup from stem ginger
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract
- mint sprigs
- Combine cream, half and half, sugar and salt in heavy medium saucepan.
- Bring to simmer stirring until sugar dissolves about 8 minutes.
- Whisk yolks in medium bowl to blend.
- Gradually whisk cream mixture into yolks.
- Return to saucepan.
- Stir over medium heat until custard thickens and leaves path on back of spoon when finger is drawn across about 4 minutes; do not boil.
- Strain custard into large bowl.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Stir stem ginger syrup and vanilla into custard.
- Cover and refrigerate until well chilled or overnight.
- Process custard mixture in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Freeze in covered container.
- Scoop ice cream into bowls.
- Garnish with mint sprigs and serve.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.