- South Asian for clotted cream
- Made by heating unpasteurized whole milk to about 80 °C (180 °F) for about one hour and then allowing to cool. A thick yellowish layer of fat and coagulated proteins forms on the surface, which is skimmed off.
- Repeat the process to remove more fat.
- Malai has about 55% butterfat.
- Buffalo milk is thought to produce better malai because of its high fat content.
- Malai is used in such recipes as Malai Kofta, Sweet Malai Kulfi, and Rasmalai Bengali.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.