Purchased from the Malin Estate in Caddo Mills, Texas in 1995. Dated 1931. Wow, lots of work, but well worth it. I love this recipe; have served it at several of my catered events.
- 8 medium Winesap Apples
- 1-cup water
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon red food coloring
- 1-teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8-teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Apricot Rum Filling
- Wash, core and peel Apples reserving some of peel.
- Make sure center of Apple is open from bottom to top.
- Combine water, Sugar, lemon juice, food coloring, spices and reserved Apple peel in a large skillet and bring to rapid boil over high heat.
- Stir until Sugar is dissolved.
- Place Apples in skillet, reduce heat to medium and cook 20 minutes.
- Turn Apples over during cooking.
- Remove Apples to large platter to drain while preparing Custard.
- Fill with Apricot Rum Filling.
Contributed by: Edit
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.