Contributed by World Recipes Y-Group
- 2 cups peeled and sliced ripe mangoes
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp + ¼ cup (60 ml) butter or margarine
- ⅓ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1¼ cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup milk
- Combine the sliced mangoes and lemon juice in a non-reactive bowl and toss to coat the mangoes.
- Allow to stand at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- Melt the tablespoon (15 ml) of butter or margarine in an 8 inch cake pan or non-reactive casserole.
- Using an iron skillet will cause the mangoes to discolour.
- Add the brown sugar and arrange the mango slices in an attractive pattern.
- In a separate bowl, cream the remaining butter or margarine and sugar and beat in the egg.
- Add the remaining dry ingredients one third at a time, alternating with the milk, and beat until the batter is smooth.
- Pour over the mangoes.
- Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 50 to 60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes, then invert onto a serving platter.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.